Rundown Instagram: @laurieandmaryjane Website: laurieandmaryjane.com Shakshuka by Laurie + MaryJane Camping is not for me — as long as I am fortunate enough to have a bed, I’m using it. When friends go camping I ask two questions: “Any wildlife and what did you cook?” When the answer is the same for both, I’m sorry
- Instagram: @laurieandmaryjane
- Website: laurieandmaryjane.com
Shakshuka by Laurie + MaryJane
Camping is not for me — as long as I am fortunate enough to have a bed, I’m using it. When friends go camping I ask two questions: “Any wildlife and what did you cook?” When the answer is the same for both, I’m sorry I asked. People schlep cast iron pans and Dutch ovens through the woods. I hear tales of curries and stacks of pancakes and bacon. My wonderful friend, who must remain nameless, brings his French press and grinds coffee beans in his car, parked a mile away, every morning.
I made this shakshuka, poured it in a mason jar, and sent my friends to their sand-filled, rain soaked, bug-infested Shangri-La. They said it turned out great. That said, you could make this at home, in your oven — that’s where I’ll be.
We used the strain Prodigium from Phresh Cannabis Cultivation; amazing high, non-stop munchies. Crazy hungry, we sat in front of the TV watching “Russian Doll” and eating the largest jar of Nutella with a tablespoon. I couldn’t find a shovel. #DONTFEARTHEEDIBLE
- 1 tbs. oil
- 2 tsp. canna oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, cut tomatoes with scissor while still in can
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2-4 eggs, it’s your call
- Parmesan shavings (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat the oils. Add the garlic, onion and peppers. Sauté until soft, 15-20 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently simmer the sauce for 35-40 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Heat oven to 340°F. In a large ovenproof sauté pan, add the tomato mixture. Make depressions in the sauce for the eggs. Crack the eggs and gently place in the sauce.
- Bake until the whites are just set, the yolks should remain runny. Sprinkle with the cheese if desired.